Sweet Potato & Kale Salad
I love just about any kind of kale salad, but was recently looking for a healthy option that is loaded with vitamins and not too much fat. I found a great one on Pinterest and tweaked it a little.
First, let's talk nutrition: Sweet potatoes- These are an excellent source of vitamin C, vitamin A, potassium and fiber. I prefer to use minimal EVOO and cook them in my air fryer. Kale- Kale is loaded with vitamins A, K, and C, as well as potassium and calcium. There are only 7 calories per raw cup and it's high in fiber. It's recommended that you massage kale 2-3 minutes with oil or lemon juice to make it more tender and to aid in chewing and digestion. Avocados- These are the only fruit that contain heart-healthy monounsaturated fat (the good fat). They help increase the absorption of fat-soluble nutrients like vitamins A, D, K and E and contain fiber, vitamin B, vitamin C, and potassium. Chick Peas- chick peas are not in the original recipe, but I will definitely add in a can (drained) next time I make this. Chick peas provide 14.5 grams of protein per cup and are filled with fiber, magnesium, potassium, and iron.
1 large sweet potato- peeled and diced
2 Tbsp EVOO
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp salt 1/2 tsp pepper
1 bunch kale- destem, wash, and torn into small pieces
1 lemon, juiced
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
Avocado dressing: 1 ripe avocado 1 lemon, juiced
1/2- 2/3 cup water 1 Tbsp. EVOO
1 garlic clove
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1. Peel and dice the sweet potato and toss with olive oil and spices.
2. Bake at 425 degrees for 18 minutes or until it's cooked and edges are slightly crispy OR cook in an air fryer for 16-18 minutes. Pause frying 2-3 times and shake the basket.
3. Remove the kale from the stem and tear into small pieces. Toss in a bowl with the juice of one lemon and massage for 2-3 minutes. Add in the Parmesan cheese and toss.
4. In a blender, combine the salad dressing ingredients and blend on low until smooth and creamy. Add in the 1/2- 2/3 cup of water as needed to get to your desired consistency.
5. Toss the roasted sweet potatoes, dressing, and kale together for an amazing and healthy salad. Add in a can of chickpeas (you can roast these in your air fryer as well with a little salt and cumin) or add in grilled chicken.
This salad is jam packed with good nutrition and yummy flavor. I hope you try it and enjoy it like I did!